Practical information for all residents

Practical Information

We have compiled this list of practical information, which we hope will be helpful; if you think of other things we could usefully add, especially for residents new to the area, do let us know. And do not hesitate to contact a member of the committee if we can be of assistance

The Conservation Area – Our five streets contain fine examples of housing influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. Their inclusion in a conservation area in 2004 has extended a degree of protection to the architectural integrity of the area.


Article 4 Direction -- Exeter City Council has made an "Article 4 Direction" that restricts home owners' 'Permitted Development' rights to use their property as houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). The direction applies to all streets in the TWRA area. These planning controls were considered necessart because of the continued growth of student houses. In the St James Ward as a whole, over a quarter of homes are entirely occupied by students.The restrictions were implemented on 31 December 2011 and do not affect properties used as HMOs before that date.

Alterations to houses – the Conservation Officer in the Planning Department (Exeter City Council) will be pleased to give advice if you need to make external changes to your house. Tel: 265223

Trees:- as our streets are in a Conservation Area all trees in front gardens automatically have tree preservation orders (TPOs) on them. A few trees in back gardens are also subject to TPOs (normally, orders are attached only to particularly fine specimens). This means Council permission is required before pruning work is done. Exeter City Council (ECC) requires six weeks notification of any work to be undertaken on such trees. There should be no problem in obtaining permission; application forms may be downloaded from ECC’s website:

Smokeless zone – we live in a smokeless zone and only smokeless fuel may be burnt. This is especially important for those amongst us who are asthmatic or have other respiratory problems.

Bus travel – Stagecoach bus route B serves the area, running on Mondays to Saturdays from the Met Office, via the High Street, to Marsh Barton and vice versa. There are stops in Pennsylvania Road: buses into town stop opposite Bishop Blackall School building and buses from town stop outside the Co-op shop.

Rail travel – In addition to Exeter’s main stations, Exeter Central and Exeter St Davids, there is a handy local station, St James’ Park, at the far end of Powderham Crescent (off Pennsylvania Road, diagonally opposite the entrance to West Avenue) – this serves stations on the Exeter-Exmouth line.

Concessionary travel – Residents of pensionable age (see below) and disabled residents are eligible for a bus travel pass which allows them to travel free of charge throughout England after 9.30 am Mondays to Fridays and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. Passes may be obtained, free of charge, from the Customer First Office at Exeter City Council’s Civic Centre (entrance in Paris Street, opposite the Bus Station). You must provide proof of address and age and supply a recent photograph (of the size used for passports). National senior rail cards can also be obtained from the Civic Centre, at the concessionary rate of £23.

(The rules for determining pensionable age for bus passes are complex. In brief, anyone born on or before 5 April 1950 and resident in England is eligible for a national bus pass from their 60th birthday; for anyone born after 5 April 1950, the age of eligibility for a bus pass for women will be the pension age, and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day.)

Parking  A Residents' Parking scheme operates in our neighbourhood (which falls within Zones G and H), and you should apply for a permit promptly to avoid being ticketed. Current annual cost is £20 (there is a maximum two permits per household). Permits, issued by Exeter City Council, can be obtained from the Civic Centre in Paris Street (see above). For details of the scheme and for application information and forms, see:

Books containing Visitors’ Parking Permits may also be obtained from Exeter City Council (charge £20 a book). Each address may buy up to two books a year. Each book contains 30 scratch cards for displaying in a visiting vehicle – each scratch card is valid for one day.

Waste collection – Waste collection is on Tuesday morning in West Avenue and on Wednesday morning in Thornton Hill and the side roads. Exeter City Council supplies each household with one green and one grey wheelie bin and these are emptied on alternate weeks.

  • green bins are for recyclable waste: clean, dry newspapers/magazines, cardboard, drink cans, washed steel food tins, aluminium foil, foil food trays, plastic bottles and food containers
  • grey bins are for all other household rubbish but not for garden waste l brown bins for garden waste may be obtained from the City Council; there is an additional annual charge for this l glass bottles and clothing can be disposed of in one of the many bottle banks and clothing banks situated around the city
  • garden waste and larger household items may also be taken to the recycling centres in Exhibition Road, Pinhoe, and Exton Road, Marsh Barton (opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.00-18.00 (16.30 October-March); Saturday & Sunday; 10.00-1800 (16.30 October-March).
  • If you do not have two bins (i.e. one grey, one green) or if you need a bin of a different size, you can obtain them from the Cleansing Services Manager, Exeter City Council, Cleansing Dept, Exton Road, Marsh Barton, Exeter EX2 8EQ (telephone number: 665 010)